The AppFlowy mentorship program is aimed at creating a hands-on learning opportunity for new developers who may otherwise lack the opportunity to gain exposure to real-world software practice and entry to the technical community.
Benefits for Mentees:
- Mentees gain exposure to real-world software development and entry to the open-source community.
- Mentees become more competitive in the job market by having more meaningful software development experience.
- Mentees have hands-on opportunities to do work related to their professional interests and to further the pursuit of their interests.
- Mentees expand their professional network by getting involved in the community and meeting other awesome contributors.
Benefits for AppFlowy Community:
- The mentorship program helps AppFlowy contributors to become AppFlowy core members and the voice of the community.
- The mentorship program helps identify and bring in new developers to our community.
- More source code gets written and used for the benefit of all.
We know how satisfied and excited people can be when they are a part of a community of dedicated developers in open source. We also understand how overwhelming it can be for newcomers to get started. We would love to offer a place for developers to get their foot in the door, improve their software development skills, and for mentorship to thrive.
The program requires a commitment of 90 to 180 hours for 6 to 12 weeks. Once you receive the acceptance letter from us, you are required to create a page about your project under AppFlowy Docs, which will be marked as your official start date. A Final evaluation will be conducted at the earlier of the following dates 1) your choice 2) the end of week 6 or 12.
You will develop both hard and soft skills required for a software engineer in the real world throughout the program. In addition, you will start playing a role as an AppFlowy core member and become the voice of our community. The program will provide you with the opportunity to:
- Collect and discuss business requirements cross-functionally
- Conduct a tech review to have your mentor and peers review your tech design doc
- Give and receive code reviews to/from your peers
- Offer help to the community
- Know your mentor and peers and participate in online hangouts
- Write an article related to your project and get it published to our newsletter - AppFlowy Binary
Becoming an AppFlowy contributor is a prerequisite. Newcomers are encouraged to complete an issue tagged with the “good first issue for devs”. This requires you to get familiar with our codebase and demonstrates your interest in contributing to AppFlowy. Don’t worry if you make mistakes in your first contribution. Instead, please see it as a great opportunity to get involved in our community, receive feedback, and iterate your work - a flavor of doing a project with the community.
You will need to do thorough research on the AppFlowy codebase, read documentation, and talk with potential mentors to put together a complete project proposal. It’s cool to come up with your own project idea as long as your idea falls under the umbrella of this year’s themes:
- Desktop features
- CI tools
- Tracing performance regressions
Please get in touch with a mentor early on if you want to work on your own idea and make sure it is realistic and within the scope of AppFlowy. We also welcome applicants to work on one of our ideas. Please see Project Ideas for details.
We expect applicants to be excited about gaining real-world software experience and learning practical skills such as problem-solving and asking well-formed questions. We also expect applicants to either have experience with the technologies relevant to their project or have strong general programming experience. We are happy to accept both student and non-student participants.
Some key criteria for mentees:
- Existing AppFlowy contributor
- Likely to become a core community member
- Have a passion for AppFlowy
- Capable of completing at least 60% of the proposed project with limited technical guidance
Mentees are paid in two parts, with one payment after each successful evaluation. The first evaluation will occur at the halfway point of your project (e.g. For a 12-week project, the evaluation will occur after week 6).
For a 6-week project, the stipend amount is 1,000 USD
For a 12-week project, the stipend amount is 2,000 USD